I have to admit I’m a big proponent of in person, face-to-face breastfeeding support, especially in the early days and months following the birth of your baby. If you’re having trouble getting a good latch, or facing breastfeeding issues within the first few months postpartum, seeking help from a local support group or lactation consultant can be crucial to breastfeeding success. However, I am also a firm believer that you can never have too much breastfeeding support, and seeking ongoing support throughout your time as a nursing mother can be helpful in many ways.
In my experience, one of the best ways to stay connected with other breastfeeding moms, and receive ongoing support is to turn to your social media friends and seek out breastfeeding support on Facebook and Twitter. As a busy mama of four who doesn’t always have time to attend a local support group, I’ve found breastfeeding support through social media to be a real blessing, and have made some great online boobie buddies in the process as well!
So what is the BEST source of breastfeeding support on Facebook and Twitter?
I believe the answer to that question is completely up to you! There are a multitude of options available, the key is simply finding one or two that feel right, and are a good fit for YOU.
Breastfeeding Support On Facebook
- The Leaky Boob- With over 63,000 “likes” The Leaky Boob Facebook Page is definitely one of the most popular places to go on Facebook for breastfeeding support! Their mission is “To support breastfeeding mothers through laughter and tears of joy and share our amazing experiences by being a safe place for open conversation”. It’s a very active Facebook page, so you’re sure to get a quick response to any breastfeeding questions, thoughts or concerns you may have, and along with a large number of both new and experienced breastfeeding mothers, there are also several lactation consultants who are active on the page, and eager to help as well.
- Breastfeeding USA- Breastfeeding USA is a wonderful non-profit organization focused on mother-to-mother support, and offers breastfeeding support in a multitude of ways, including their very active Facebook Page. Breastfeeding USA’s mission is “To provide evidence-based breastfeeding information and support, and to promote breastfeeding as the biological and cultural norm”. I think they’re an awesome organization- be sure to check them out!
- KellyMom- Along with offering an incredible wealth of breastfeeding information & support on their website, KellyMom also offers a very lively Facebook Page that is a great place to turn to for breastfeeding support! KellyMom states “The KellyMom Facebook fan page, an extension of KellyMom.com, is a support area for breastfeeding and gentle, empathic parenting practices. The purpose of this page is to post resources relating to breastfeeding and parenting, and to help bring supporters of breastfeeding and gentle parenting together to discuss these things”.
- Pregnant With Twins Or Parent Of Twins- For mamas with multiples, Pregnant With Twins Or Parent Of Twins offers a wonderful Facebook Page that is all about “Coming together to share advice and stories on raising twins and pregnancy”. There are many breastfeeding moms of multiples that are active in this Facebook community, and when you post a question on their page, they will re-post it in their news feed so you can get quick answers from all of their fans.
Breastfeeding Support On Twitter
- #BFcafe- When it comes to breastfeeding support on Twitter, there is one “place” that stands out far above anything else I’ve yet to discover- #BFcafe! This weekly Thursday night Twitter chat takes place at 7pm PST/10pm EST and is hosted by Katy a.k.a. @Stylin_Momma who is an IBCLC, and just an amazing and experienced breastfeeding mama all around. Each week the chat has a different topic, but Katy and other experienced breastfeeding moms and advocates always make themselves available to answer any pressing breastfeeding questions or concerns as well. You can also use the hashtag #BFcafe throughout the week to tweet and connect with Katy and other breastfeeding moms. I LOVE the #BFcafe Twitter chats, and have learned and shared so much with all of the amazing mamas who attend this fabulous weekly chat! If you are looking for breastfeeding support on Twitter, #BFcafe is definitely the place to go on Thursday nights, and really anytime of the week as long as you throw the #BFcafe hashtag into your tweet! For more information about #BFcafe, be sure to check out their Facebook Page, and if you have a question you want addressed at the next chat, simply post it on the wall and Katy will be sure to get it answered for you!
- Breastfeeding Friendly People To Follow & Connect With On Twitter- There are also a number of breastfeeding mamas, groups and advocates you can follow on Twitter that send out wonderfully informative, interesting and even humorous breastfeeding related tweets, and I’m sure any of them would be more than happy to help you out with a breastfeeding question or concern- just send them a tweet!
- @EcoCrazyMom (Me!)
For more eco-crazy tips follow Eco-Crazy Mom on Twitter and Facebook. You can also follow my blog and join my mailing list to be the first to know about new posts, giveaways and the latest eco-crazy news!
Did you find this information interesting or helpful? Please help spread the word! Give this post a +1 or share it on your favorite social media site using the buttons below.