Earth Day is definitely one of my favorite days of the year, and this year we’re starting the festivities early. I received a fabulous Earth Day Celebration Kit from Cascadian Farms and I simply couldn’t wait to use it!
I’ve been wanting to take some time to teach the kidlets about why it’s important to eat organic foods for a while, and our Earth Day Celebration Kit was the perfect opportunity to do just that! With Earth Day right around the corner, what better way to grab their attention than a backyard Earth Day Picnic just for them!
We began by creating a list of reasons that it’s important to eat organic foods…
- Better for the earth
- Better for our body & health
- It’s natural
- It’s how God intended food to be
- No pesticides
- No genetic engineering
- Doesn’t give you cancer
- Doesn’t hurt animals & is safer for wildlife
- Protects water quality
- Improves quality of soil
- Uses natural pest & weed control
- Tastes better
- Safer for farmers
Then we learned how to identify organic foods with the USDA Organic Seal on them, and talked about the difference between “100% Organic”, “Organic”, and “Made with organic ingredients”.
There are four labeling categories when looking for organic products in stores and markets:
- 100 percent Organic: All of the product’s content is certified organic. These products may display the USDA Organic seal on the label.
- Organic: At least 95 percent of the product’s content is certified organic. These products may also display the USDA Organic seal on the label. These products contain some minor ingredients that are not certified organic, such as minerals and vitamins.
- Made with Organic Ingredients: At least 70 percent of the product’s content is certified organic. Up to three ingredients can be listed on the label with the phrase “made with organic.”
- Products containing less than 70 percent organic content may only identify the organic ingredients in the ingredient listing on the label.
Next it was time to plan the Kid’s Organic Earth Day Picnic feast! Our Cascadian Farms Earth Day Celebration Kit included a great little recipe book, and we found even more yummy recipes on the Cascadian Farms website. Considering I am no Martha Stewart, I decided to keep it simple and the kids decided on Organic Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Honey Nut Marshmallow Bars and Spa Smoothies.
We had a blast preparing the food, and even more fun eating it. Needless to say the Kid’s Organic Earth Day Picnic was a great success! In fact, we had such a great time I want to invite YOU to have an all organic Earth Day celebration of your own! You can plan any type of celebration you’d like- the only rule is that your feast must be made up of all (or mostly) organic food. You can find plenty of delicious recipes on the Cascadian Farms website to get you started!
Connect With Cascadian Farms
Cascadian Farms has been dedicated to organic farming for over 35 years, and they’re celebrating Earth day in a BIG way! Head over to the Cascadian Farms Facebook page to all of the exciting things they have going on including other Earth Day Celebration stories, and a chance to win a year’s supply of Cascadian Farms products!
Enter To Win!
Cascadian Farms wants to give you a chance to win an Earth Day Celebration Kit of your own right here on Eco-Crazy Mom! Enter to win using the simple Rafflecopter form below…
Disclosure: I received an Earth Day Celebration Kit from Cascadian Farms in exchange for writing this post. No other form of compensation was received, and all opinions are purely my own.Terri
For more eco-crazy tips follow Eco-Crazy Mom on Twitter and Facebook. You can also follow my blog and join my mailing list to be the first to know about new posts, giveaways and the latest eco-crazy news!
Did you find this information interesting or helpful? Please help spread the word! Give this post a +1 or share it on your favorite social media site using the buttons below.