This is definitely not a post for my vegan and vegetarian readers (although the recipe could be easily modified to suit your dietary choices), but as most of you know, we eat a “flexitarian” diet. Sooo, over the years I have created THE BEST chicken tortilla soup recipe that the whole family loves, and our friends literally beg me to cook for them when invited over for dinner- yes, it’s that good! There’s nothing like sitting around the dinner table with family, good soup, and good friends- especially on a cool fall or winter day.
This recipe is made almost completely from scratch, so while it does take some time and effort, it’s completely worth it in the end- and there’s often leftovers for another meal or two, depending on how many people you are feeding. (I also included some cheater tips at the end of this post, in case you’re lazy or short on time.) I’d say this recipe could easily feed 10 people, or more if several are young children. It would also make a great freezer meal for expectant moms who want to have some dinners on hand for after baby is born! Okay, so let’s cut to the chase and get started, I know some of you have been waiting for this recipe for a long time…
Ingredients (Preferably Organic!):
- 4-5 Bone-In Chicken Breasts (or one whole chicken, but we prefer white meat)
- 3 Carrots
- 3 Stalks of Celery (with leaves, if there are any)
- Salt & Pepper (a pinch of each)
- Large Pot Filled With Water
- Chicken Bullion (optional)
- 6 Cloves of Garlic, finely mined
- 1/2 Bunch of Cilantro (leaves only, no stems)
- 2 Cans Diced Tomatoes (we prefer petite diced tomatoes)
- 3-4 TBSP. Chili Powder
- 3-4 TBSP. Ground Cumin
- 3-4 Bay Leaves
- Juice of One Lime
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Canola Oil
- Small White Corn Tortillas (or tortilla chips if you’re lazy)
- Shredded Cheese
- Optional- Sour Cream and Avocado
For more eco-crazy tips follow Eco-Crazy Mom on Twitter and Facebook. You can also follow my blog and join my mailing list to be the first to know about new posts, giveaways and the latest eco-crazy news!
Did you find this information interesting or helpful? Please help spread the word! Give this post a +1 or share it on your favorite social media site using the buttons below.